From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:02:17
1 >>>> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local laptop
2 >>>> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind a
3 >>>> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
4 >>>> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on each
5 >>>> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
6 >>>
7 >>> If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the OpenVPN
8 >>> server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
9 >>
10 >> I can't rely on being able to configure the router unfortunately, but
11 >> I have to admit admin/admin does work a lot of the time.
12 >>
13 >>> But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router, running
14 >>> an
15 >>> OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your laptop
16 >>> connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop over
17 >>> the VPN-link.
18 >>> Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your laptop
19 >>> (one
20 >>> to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
21 >>
22 >> So I'm sure I understand, I should run the openvpn server on one of my
23 >> remote systems and connect to that with each of the other remote
24 >> systems and the laptop. Then I can back up from any of the remote
25 >> systems to the laptop and all the laptop needs to be able to do is
26 >> make an outbound connection to the openvpn server?
29 > 1) OpenVPN on every remote system and have laptop connect to all remote
30 > systems for the backup
31 >
32 > 2) OpenVPN on 1 remote system (configured as router for the VPN-links)
33 > - laptop and other remote systems connect to this remote system
34 > - backup are sent to laptop via this one remote system
35
36 #2 sounds cooler. Is that what you'd do?
37
38 - Grant