From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Looking for a pre-compiled Linux distribution
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 22:01:26
1 On 23/11/17 18:45, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 23/11/17 19:11, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I'd like to recommend a Linux distribution to someone who needs an as
6 >> simple Linux distribution as possible.
7 >> Since I am going to help that person from time to time, it should be
8 >> as similar as possible to Gentoo.
9 >>
10 >> Which distribution would you recommend.
11 >
12 > Arch Linux is similar. Just imagine you have "emerge", except there's
13 > only binary packages. When you install it initially, you're left on the
14 > command line with nothing installed except base packages, much like Gentoo.
15 >
16 How close is Slackware to that description?
17
18 If you want a minimal distro that has everything you could want, but is
19 easy to install and maintain, Slackware probably fits the bill (a Slack
20 live CD is my preferred tool in my toolkit for recovering broken systems :-)
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol