From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:34:45
1 On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 13. September 2011 17:53:04 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > There are already devs on "our" side. Fortunatly one of them maintains
6 >> > openrc>
7 >> > :)
8 >>
9 >> I really don't see them as "sides". "We" are not at "war".
10 >
11 > :)
12 >
13 >> And if
14 >> OpenRC is capable of booting without needing an initramfs, I really,
15 >> truly believe that is *GREAT*. But
16 >>
17 >> a) It doesn't stop OpenRC to actually use an initramfs
18 >> b) Doesn't mean every other part of the stack will keep working
19 >> without an initramfs *AND* with a separated /usr.
20 >> c) Doesn't mean there are enough developers to keep supporting the
21 >> things upstream stop supporting.
22 >>
23 >> Again, it all comes down to whoever writes the code. If Vapier wants
24 >> to support OpenRC for systems without initramfs and a separated /usr,
25 >> that's amazing and we should all said thanks to him and the other devs
26 >> for the extra effort. But it *WILL* be extra effort for him the moment
27 >> more upstreams choose to assume that either /usr is in /, or that the
28 >> system boots with an initramfs.
29 >>
30 >> We can thank Vapier, but we cannot *demand* of him to support whatever
31 >> we want. Nor to any other dev.
32 >
33 > I do not demand anything from any developer (unless I pay him).
34 >
35 >> So,if you *TRULY* believe that Gentoo should forever and ever support
36 >> any setup it has supported up until now, better start coding. Because
37 >> otherwise you can never be sure somebody else will do it for you.
38 >
39 > Not that it has some value for this discussion, but I *do* code. It's just not
40 > udev, openrc or as a gentoo-dev.
41
42 Me too. That's why I put so much value on the people that writes the code.
43
44 > If gentoo follows fedora on this mandatory initramfs trail, I'll switch to
45 > FreeBSD completely. My software works on way more systems than just "Linux".
46
47 That's of course your prerogative. And, as I said before: "Linux
48 strives to be much more than Unix, and that means do things
49 differently." If you want to do things the same way that it was done
50 in the last 20 years, maybe Linux is not the best of choices.
51
52 I myself think the new technologies are worth to change the way we did
53 things before. But that's just me.
54
55 >> And maybe I shouldn't even mention it, but I don't use OpenRC. I use
56 >> systemd. And it works great on Gentoo.
57 >
58 > Well. Linux only. If I wanted a monoculture, I would use MS-Windows or OSX.
59
60 Relax man. I mention what I use: I'm not forcing you (or anybody else)
61 to use it. But I repeat (because I said it before) that I care about
62 Linux, and Linux only.
63
64 But that's just me.
65