From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 22:12:22
1 On Tuesday, 13. September 2011 17:53:04 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
3 wrote:
4 > > There are already devs on "our" side. Fortunatly one of them maintains
5 > > openrc>
6 > > :)
7 >
8 > I really don't see them as "sides". "We" are not at "war".
9
10 :)
11
12 > And if
13 > OpenRC is capable of booting without needing an initramfs, I really,
14 > truly believe that is *GREAT*. But
15 >
16 > a) It doesn't stop OpenRC to actually use an initramfs
17 > b) Doesn't mean every other part of the stack will keep working
18 > without an initramfs *AND* with a separated /usr.
19 > c) Doesn't mean there are enough developers to keep supporting the
20 > things upstream stop supporting.
21 >
22 > Again, it all comes down to whoever writes the code. If Vapier wants
23 > to support OpenRC for systems without initramfs and a separated /usr,
24 > that's amazing and we should all said thanks to him and the other devs
25 > for the extra effort. But it *WILL* be extra effort for him the moment
26 > more upstreams choose to assume that either /usr is in /, or that the
27 > system boots with an initramfs.
28 >
29 > We can thank Vapier, but we cannot *demand* of him to support whatever
30 > we want. Nor to any other dev.
31
32 I do not demand anything from any developer (unless I pay him).
33
34 > So,if you *TRULY* believe that Gentoo should forever and ever support
35 > any setup it has supported up until now, better start coding. Because
36 > otherwise you can never be sure somebody else will do it for you.
37
38 Not that it has some value for this discussion, but I *do* code. It's just not
39 udev, openrc or as a gentoo-dev.
40 If gentoo follows fedora on this mandatory initramfs trail, I'll switch to
41 FreeBSD completely. My software works on way more systems than just "Linux".
42
43 > And maybe I shouldn't even mention it, but I don't use OpenRC. I use
44 > systemd. And it works great on Gentoo.
45
46 Well. Linux only. If I wanted a monoculture, I would use MS-Windows or OSX.
47
48 > Regards.
49
50 Regards,