From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 04:17:01
1 On December 3, 2018 11:32:46 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > On 2018.12.03 11:27, Pouru Lasse wrote:
4 >> I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that
5 >> I'd
6 >> like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does
7 >> this?
8 >> I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
9 >> DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
10 >
11 > I have not installed dvdisaster, but I'd be really surprised if it
12 > won't check dvd's. The ebuild description is "Tool for creating error
13 > correction data (ecc) for optical media (DVD, CD, BD)" so if it really
14 > balks at a dvd, I'd file a bug.
15 >
16 > Also - what is your criteria for finding an error? Could you just read
17 > the entire disk or copy to /dev/null and just look for any read
18 > errors? (I'm not sure if I'd try cp or dd or some variant on dd.)
19 >
20 > Jack
21
22 Not so much just for verification, but I'd also check out ddrescue. If the
23 tool dumps your media easily, it's probably good. If it struggles, you may
24 at least still have a workable image by the time it is done.
25
26 IIRC, some game discs may also throw a curve-ball here: they had
27 intentional errors introduced near the end of the disc to prevent image
28 dumping for copy protection. I'm sure I ran across a ps2 game or two like this.
29
30 -d