From: ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:09:27
1 Peter Ruskin wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 February 2010 05:42:25 Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
5 >> "don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager -
6 >> use the whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something
7 >> else instead of Kmail".
8 >>
9 >> I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using
10 >> Knode for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac
11 >> and open Knode in X11.
12 >>
13 >> I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been
14 >> able to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.
15 >>
16 >> I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually
17 >> with the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies
18 >> thing.
19 >>
20 >> It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an
21 >> alternative that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part
22 >> of the whole KDE4 environment.
23 >>
24 >> Any suggestions?
25 >>
26 >> Thanks in advance,
27 >>
28 >> Stroller.
31 > I've always used pan in preference to knode.
34 I don't use knode or usenet, but am I missing something? Can't kde4
35 applications be used on Mac these days?