From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems debugging a systemd problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 06:16:03
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:09 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Hi folks. I spent a very frustrating time last night trying to figure
6 > > out why my systemd would not boot using systemd. I am using dracut and
7 > > its version is 041r2. Now what was happening is that the system would
8 > > get to the pre-init-queue -- and I even set the rd.break there, but
9 > > after that the system would not boot -- when I used debug it endlessly
10 > > said calling setl forever. Now it turned out that the problem was that
11 > > I had mistyped an rd.lv= line -- instead of ssd-files/usr I had
12 > > ssd-files/-usr . Now, what I would like to know is how could I tell
13 > > that it was trying to look for a non-existent lv? At the point of the
14 > > break. no lvm volumes were active, although strangely enough I saw a
15 > > e2fsck for the real root file system which was an lvm volume. I am
16 > > finding its generally hard to debug systemd problems, several other
17 > > times the system just sat there till I figured it out some other way.
18 > >
19 > > Any observations on this would be appreciated, but I don't want to get
20 > > into a flame war, I just want to minimize the down time.
21 >
22 > Usually if you can get an emergency shell by adding "emergency" to the
23 > kernel command line (both GRUB and Gummiboot allow you to edit the kernel
24 > command line), then is easy to see what the problem is. My experience with
25 > LVM has been consistently pretty awful, which is why I don't use in any of
26 > my machines, but I suppose a systemctl --all --full will tell you what unit
27 > files have failed, and then you can journalctl -b -u them. Also journalctl
28 > -b by itself would tell you many times what the problem is.
29 >
30 > The only problem with the emergency shell is that sometimes is too early in
31 > the boot process for the keyboard drivers to have been loaded, but that is
32 > easily solved by adding a drivers+="" line to a conf file
33 > in /etc/dracut.conf.d.
34 >
35 > Also, and I cannot stress this enough, you never delete your old (and
36 > working) kernel+initramfs until you have tested the new one. I would also
37 > recommend to leave the entries for the old kernel+initramfs in the
38 > GRUB/Gummiboot menu, but you can manage without them.
39 >
40 > Finally, and this is tooting my own horn, maybe you could try kerninst[1]?
41 > It's a little script I started a couple of years ago to automatically
42 > compile and install my kernels and generate my initramfs'. I use it in all
43 > my machines, and now my kernel update is just a matter of eselecting the
44 > new version, and running kerninst. I follow ~amd64 vanilla-sources, so this
45 > is roughly every week or two.
46 >
47 > Beware, though, that I don't use LVM nor RAID nor Luks, but in theory if
48 > you have a working kernel+dracut+[grub|gummitboot] configuration, it should
49 > also work with them.
50
51 Thanks for your quick reply, but I do have rd.shell=1, but it did not
52 drop to a shell,it just hung, so I could not do journalctl or anything
53 -- the nearest break point was pre-initqueue which was maybe too early
54 and the next one is pre-mount which it never got to. Unfortunately, I
55 was in a position where I could not use an older kernel, because the
56 older ones didn't have the configs to read gui type partitions-- I
57 always keep several kernels around normally, but this was one of those
58 transitional times when I was stuck. So do I need emergency aswell as
59 rd.shell andis there any way to get a shell when the system appearsto
60 be in some kind of a loop, like calling setl over andover again?
63 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
64 How do
65 you spend it?
66
67 John Covici