From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: cups web interface (localhost:631) missing
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:18:07
1 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > At Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:10:19 -0400 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >> The web based administration interface for cups appears to be missing.
6 >> I just installed the unstable version today to fix the libpng problem.
7 >>
8 >> When I browse http://localhost:631/help I receive
9 >>
10 >> Not Found
11 >> The requested resource was not found on this server.
12 >>
13 >> I haven't used this interface in a while so I can't say for sure it
14 >> was due to the upgrade to unstable.
15 >>
16 >> I can say that the man page for cups-config does include
17 >> SEE ALSO
18 >> http://localhost:631/help
19 >>
20 >> Thanks in advance for any help.
21 >> allan
24 > Oops. I spoke too soon, but do have a question.
25 >
26 > I had done an etc-update and took the new config (which specifically now
27 > enables listening on 631).
28 >
29 > I tried /etc/init.d/cupsd restart but it failed ( [??] )
30 >
31 > Then did /etc/init.d/cupsd zap; /etc/init.d/cupsd start both of which
32 > succeeded. At this point I could *not* access localhost:631.
33 >
34 > However, a reboot fixed this.
35 >
36 > I am fairly sure a reboot should not be required (and the elog doesn't
37 > mention one). What did I do wrong?
38 >
39 > Sorry for jumping to conclusions in my first msg.
40 >
41 > allan
44 I have ran into things like this with services before. This is how I
45 do. I stop the service, /etc/init.d/<name> stop. Then I make sure it
46 is not still running somewhere. ps aux | grep <name> If nothing comes
47 up but the grep command then it is not running. If something does come
48 up then you need to kill it. I usually do killall <name>. If all is
49 well, then zap it and restart the service. It should be a clean start.
50
51 The only time you should have to reboot Linux is to start up a new
52 kernel. Only windoze requires all that. I had a uptime of almost 10
53 months a while back and everything but the kernel was updated. I had
54 done a emerge -e world at least twice.
55
56 Hope that helps.
57
58 Dale