From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 10:06:13
1 On Saturday 16 Apr 2016 11:10:45 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 16/04/2016 05:36, Alan Grimes wrote:
3 > > Emerge won't update a single goddammned package on my system.
6 > > My number theory code finished a segment of work, (after a month), and
7 > > it's time to reboot the system to propagate updates to nvidia drivers
8 > > and such, uptime = 81 days.
9 > >
10 > > I thought the hell emerge put me through last time would cover me for
11 > > the next six months... =(
14 > > Emerge seems to want to pretend it is possible to update packages
15 > > without breaking anything. It's not. That's why there's revdep-rebuild.
16 > > It is causing much much much more grief by refusing to do it's goddamned
17 > > motherfucking job than it would be by giving revdep-rebulid a chance to
18 > > do it's job.
19 >
20 > Hello Mr Grimes,
21 >
22 > I see you still have trouble dealing with your rage issues.
23 >
24 > I recommend you seek professional help about that.
25
26 Nah! Let the man vent. Gentoo is a particularly effective (meta)distro for
27 this purpose too. It will invariably do *exactly* what you instruct it,
28 although this comes with no guarantee this will be what wanted it to do.
29
30 It forces you to learn through practice. ;-)
33 Regards,
34 Mick