From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WARNING dev-libs/icu-49.1 is BAD
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:38:39
On 04.04.2012 20:12, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> Another scare. No emacs, no apache, gnome in trouble ... > > don't install icu-49.1 > > I was going to file a bug but I see that there are a few stating that > some things fail with 49.1 so I don't know that my adding to the list > will help. > > To see the list just ask for > > ALL icu > > I now have to reinstall everything that was installed after icu, or at > least try them to see if they fail. > > allan >
Why can't ebuilds like icu be made like openssl or openldap where the libs are not replaced, but old libs stay and a text is displayed to use redep-rebuild and afterwards rm the old libs? That way software doesn't suddenly brake until you reemerge half your desktop/servers (only to reemerge everything again the next day, because that lib gets suddenly masked). I like the behavior of openldap and openssl, I'd like to have that for gfx-libs that brake the desktop (like icu) too. Please, please do it dear gentoo devs :) Daniel -- PGP key @ # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp:// 0xBB9D4887

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-user] WARNING dev-libs/icu-49.1 is BAD Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>