From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 22:32:05
1 On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> One thing that you seem to be missing here. Before Gentoo, I used Mandrake.
5 >>> It had a init thingy. It caused me much grief and is one reason I left
6 >>> Mandrake. I also didn't like the upgrade process either but one reason I
7 >>> chose Gentoo is no init thingy. I wanted to be rid of that. Now, whether
8 >>> it is udev or not, here comes that stupid init thingy just because someone
9 >>> doesn't want to put files where they should be which is not inside /usr.
10 >>>
11 >>> So, given my history with the init thingy, if I do use a init thingy and it
12 >>> fails for whatever reason, I'll be installing something else. I done went
13 >>> down the road of trying to fix one of those stupid things and I have no plan
14 >>> or desire to do so again. I'm also not going to spend hours reinstalling
15 >>> Gentoo either. If, more than likely when, the init thingy fails, I'll be
16 >>> installing something else and I'll most my last sign off message here. One
17 >>> thing about Linux, there are plenty of distros to pick from . I love Gentoo
18 >>> but I like to be able to boot up without dealing with a init thingy that I
19 >>> have to fix when it goes belly up.
20 >>>
21 >>> Dale
22 >>>
23 >> I don't know why people keep humoring this kind of explanation for
24 >> systemd, udev, or /usr FUD, but this is not a rational way to think. It's
25 >> the same kind of excuse to say "I'm never going to use any kind of Linux,
26 >> even Android, because I tried it 3 or 4 times when it was on floppies,
27 >> and I couldn't get it to work".
28 >>
29 >> I'm really sorry about your terrible experience with "init thingies" in the
30 >> past, but you've got to face the facts:
31 >> 1) most distros today, Kubuntu included, bundle an "init thingy"
32 >> and it works flawlessly for them.
33 >> 2) you really, seriously, have to own up to the fact that your init thingy
34 >> failing was very likely your fault (because of 1)
35 >> 3) managing "init thingies" has gotten ridiculously easy over time as
36 >> compared to when you manually had to build them
37 >>
38 >> Especially that number 2 part. I mean, let's not forget that character
39 >> of Gentoo as a distribution. Or heck, even *nix distributions in general.
40 >> *nix distributions give you a lot of tools to arrange your systems the
41 >> way you want, i.e. choice, but it is always implicitly under the assumption
42 >> that the choice you're making is an *informed* choice.
43 >>
44 >> That's why you're asked to read the manual, or check the readmes,
45 >> or check the sample configs, and in this day and age, do a basic search
46 >> for working examples, before asking questions. *nix is not, and has
47 >> never been about being "polite" to users who don't know what they
48 >> are doing, and has always been about being efficient to users who do.
49 >>
50 >> I've been recommended to put it "over the top" bluntly before, so:
51 >> 1) STOP. FREAKING. BEING. IRRATIONAL.
52 >> 2) STOP BLAMING INIT THINGIES FOR YOUR MISTAKES. THE DAMNED
53 >> THINGS WORK.
54 >> 3) If you're scared of doing an init thingy *manually*, just read and do
55 >> the howto of the simplest init thingy manager in town (dracut? genkernel?).
56 >> It surely takes less time and effort than migrating to Kubuntu or whatever.
57 >
58 > Already tried making a init thingy from a really nice howto, Gentoo one
59 > I think. Failed big time. Heck, the init thingy barely even loaded
60 > before it failed. I seem to recall posting on here. As far as I know,
61 > no one knew how to fix it or what was wrong. The dracut one worked but
62 > if it ever failed, I'm in the same boat, no freaking clue how to fix it
63 > or where to start and if I can't boot, no help either. So just to
64 > update, my most recent experience wasn't to good either. It isn't all
65 > about YEARS ago. It is also about more recent attempts.
66
67 Meanwhile, for more stupidly over the top blunt trauma:
68 Please grow up and read your excuses for what they are. You
69 (1) failed to make an init thingy manually
70 (2) refuse to use a known working system that thousands use
71 on account of GREMLINS
72 and
73 (3) threaten to replace it with another working system that thousands use.
74 but no gremlins here!
75
76 At the end of they day, you don't want to learn how to do it "the hard way". So
77 do it the easy way and be done with your troubles. If you don't want to do it
78 EITHER way fine, but stop pretending that it's anything else but a problem
79 with your attitude. You're being exactly the kind of user that unpaid
80 volunteer devs don't want to waste time having to support.
81 --
82 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
83 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
84 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none