From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] new machine: Intel quad vs duo
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:02:49
1 I'm getting close to buying the parts for my new machine (see earlier msgs)
2 & an Intel quad-core mentioned by a helpful responder
3 has now come down almost within my price range.
4 The CPU I have been contemplating for some weeks is
5 an 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 4 MB 65 nm 2,67 GHz', which sells for CAD 225 ,
6 but there is now 'Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8 MB 65 nm 2,4 GHz' for CAD 305 ;
7 the 8 MB cache in the latter divides into 2 x 4 MB / pair processors.
8 Prices continue to drop weekly & should go lower with our higher CAD.
9
10 My guess is that even a dual-core CPU wb overkill for my simple desktop,
11 but I'm keen to get value for money in a machine intended to last to 2011 .
12 Does anyone have any thoughts re dual- vs quad-core processors
13 when used for various purposes with Gentoo ?
17 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
18 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
19 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list