From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do you leave it on? USE="berkdb"
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:57:15
1 Grant wrote:
2 > Does anyone else have a comment on this? Does turning on berkdb
3 > increase the performance of the applications that can utilize it, with
4 > the downside of another package on the system? How about gdbm?
5
6 At one point berkdb and gdbm conflicted in cyrus-sasl and I think there
7 were issues in PHP as well... this is roughly 2-3 years ago. I started
8 turning berkdb off for most things and never noticed a difference. My
9 understanding is that they do the same thing.
10
11 I'd say using neither is an issue. Apache will start, process config
12 files, and then use berkdb or gdbm to create a hash of the vhosts for
13 fast lookups. I'd assume Apache has some less efficient fallback code to
14 hash configs or it would fail to build without one or the other.
15
16 kashani
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list