From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:10:54
1 On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 06:57:02 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > > Unless you want to learn the ins and outs of using an initramfs (and
4 > > having a lot of fun and failed boots in the process), I highly
5 > > recommend using Dracut. It does everything for you.
6 >
7 > What about a previous posters comment that they don;t update the kernel
8 > as often as userland stuff, and there is userland stuff in the
9 > initramfs, so things can still get out of sync - and, apparently (I'm
10 > inferring from the comments about nightmare scenarios of unbootable
11 > systems because the initramfs got 'out of sync')...
12
13 That is only likely to happen if the initramfs file does't match the
14 kernel. An initramfs isn't magic, or even complex, it's just a few static
15 commands and a script to get the required filesystems mounted before
16 passing control to init.
17
18 > So, how do/can you *guarantee* that nothing ever gets out of sync?
19
20 You could add a custom postinst function to /etc/portage that would
21 check whether any of the files included in your initramfs are newer than
22 the initramfs/kernel and send an ewarn if so.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Hello, this is an extension to the famous signature virus, called spymail.
29 Could you please copy me into your signature and send back what you were
30 doing last night between 10pm and 3am?