From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:20:28
1 Alan McKinnon schrieb:
2 [...]
3 > Reiser tends to self-balance itself out. What is especially noteworthy is that
4 > none of the general purpose Linux filesystems provide a defrag utility.
5 > Theodore 'Tso and Hans Reiser are both exceptional programmers, if there was
6 > a need for such a tool they would assuredly have written one. They did not,
7 > so there probably isn't.
8 >
9 [...]
10
11 Well, as far as I know, ext4 will get an online defrag tool.
12
13 I once experienced performance losses on a reiserfs-volume used for
14 ccache (tailpacking enabled).
15
16 But otherwise you are right, fragmentation is usually caused by a bad
17 filesystem (FAT*), a filesystem that is mostly filled (when 99% is full,
18 the allocator has no choice but scatter any new writes over the whole
19 volume) or unusual usage patterns (write-delete-write-delete-... like my
20 ccache issue).