From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] One machine sends "emerge" text output to stderr, not stdout
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:25:48
1 I have a main machine and a backup machine. The main machine is 64-bit
2 and the backup is 32-bit, but otherwise very similar setup. I
3 haven't updated the backup (32-bit machine) for a while, and decided to
4 do so today (115 packages emerge). I normally...
5
6 emerge -pv --deep --update world | less
7
8 ...before updating, to check for booby-traps. Today, the output on the
9 backup machine blasted to screen, and did not stop until finished.
10 Meanwhile, the bottom of the screen shows "lines 1-4/4 (END) ".
11 Actually, it's 151 lines of output. Similarly...
12
13 emerge -pv --deep --update world > x
14
15 ...shows only 4 lines in file x, while the output blasted to the screen.
16
17 emerge -pv --deep --update world > x 2>&1
18
19 ...does work, sending everything to file x. That's how I know there are
20 151 lines of output in file x and output is going to stderr. This
21 happens on only the backup machine, not the main machine. It's not a
22 showstopper, and I can work around it. Having said that, I'd like to do
23 a proper fix.
24
25 The main quirk on my mcahines is that I start USE with "-*" on all my
26 machines. This goes back to when the developers "in their infinite
27 wisdom", decided to make ipv6 a default USE flag. It was not fun
28 watching Firefox and mplayer sit for 45 seconds until the IPV6 contact
29 attempt time out, before contacting remote sites with IPV4.
30
31 The machine is a bog-standard Dell D530 dual core. /proc/cpuinfo shows
32
33 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
34 > cpu family : 6
35 > model : 15