From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 07:52:33
1 Julien Roy wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > On 8/14/22 18:44, Dale wrote:
5 >> Thoughts?  Ideas?
6 >
7 > You might be interested in borgbackup [1]
8 > It takes delta backups and has de-duplication and compression to save
9 > some space. It supports encryption too.
10 > It's packaged in ::gentoo and you run it on whatever machine you want
11 > to backup and give it its destination, it can be local or on a remote
12 > machine.
13 >
14 > I've been using it for a while and it works well. I have it configured
15 > on a crontab and it backups my files every night
16 >
17 > [1] https://www.borgbackup.org/
21 Since my drives are external, I do my backups manually.  Well, I start
22 it when the drives are connected and ready.  I think borgbackup was one
23 I looked into and it sounded more like a online backup where you store
24 the data on a server somewhere.  I may be wrong on that tho.  I looked
25 at several and it got confusing after a bit.  Plus, some were still as
26 clear as mud.  Why do people link to a place that doesn't tell what
27 their software does and how anyway.  It seems most think github and such
28 are good places to link to when it really doesn't tell you anything
29 unless you want to help develop the software or something.  It would be
30 like Ford linking to CAD models to sell cars.  :/
31
32 To all:  I found a good deal on a 10TB drive.  That should suffice for
33 now.  I might add, it will give me time to figure out a path forward and
34 I can make other use of that SMR drive.  One thing I thought of as a
35 negative for a NAS, I can't lock it into my safe, unless it is really
36 tiny.  As it is, even if a fire comes along, I still got backups.  With
37 a NAS, I could lose everything, puter, backups and all.  Given I back up
38 around 12 to 13TBs of data, it could get pricey uploading somewhere.
39
40 I just hope this 10TB drive isn't a SMR.  I googled around and the best
41 I could find is anything above 8TB is CMR.  It's a WD101EDBZ-11B1DA0.  I
42 hope that is right.  I'm not totally opposed to SMR even as a backup but
43 I'd rather not.  The deal I found was for a pull and costs about $110
44 including shipping.  I looked at a 14TB but my jaw dropped.  $$$$$$$$
45
46 I need to look into the LVM snapshot thing some more.  I keep forgetting
47 that option and I use LVM a LOT here.  Maybe I will find something
48 between now and filling up that 10TB drive.  ROFL
49
50 Dale
51