From: "boslists@×××××.com" <boslists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 11:55:10
1 On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, b.n. wrote:
2
3 > boslists@×××××.com ha scritto:
4 >> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, �Q� wrote:
5 >>
6 >> <snip>
7 >>
8 >> > You didn't need this. It's for third-party e-builds, but you aren't
9 >> > using a third party e-build. The zip file came from Sun, but the
10 >> > ebuild is in the Gentoo portage tree.
11 >> >
12 >> > Ebuilds are just scripts which portage uses to build the packages. In
13 >> > this case, the ebuild isn't allowed to download the files it needs
14 >> > automagically, but it's still a Gentoo ebuild, not a third-party one.
15 >> >
16 >> > I've snipped the rest of what you wrote about overlays, &c., but it
17 >> > didn't look like anything was wrong, just unnecessary for what you want
18 >> > to do. For more info about overlays, see
19 >> > <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml>.
22 >> Thanks for the additional info. Good to know!
25 > I think this little misunderstanding could be solved, in the future, by
26 > clarifying it (perhaps in a footnote) in the gentoo docs. To me the
27 > instructions for java etc. have always been clear, but it doesn't mean it is
28 > always the case.
29
30 Well, my thinking was Sun does not equal Gentoo therefore Sun is a 3rd
31 party. Being less than a week on the Gentoo scene, and having no
32 experience as a developer, coder, administrator or any other computer
33 profession, I am still in the foothills of the learning curve regarding
34 Gentoo specific jargon like Ebuilds.
35
36 I appreciate the patience.