From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: python-updater always wants to re-emerge certain things.
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 04:07:39
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-09-15, Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >>> I ran python-updater and it wanted to emerge 7 packages. I
6 >>> emerged all of them except openoffice. Then I ran
7 >>> python-updater again. It still wants to emerge half of the
8 >>> packages that I just finished emerging. What does one have to
9 >>> do to get a package off the list of things python-updater wants
10 >>> to build?
11 >>>
12 >>> The packages it always wants to build are
13 >>>
14 >>> dev-libs/boost-1.34.1-r2
15 >>> x11-libs/vte-0.16.14
16 >>> app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3
17 >>>
18 >> Once you get them all emerged, unmerge the old version of
19 >> python and it will be good to go. That is my experience
20 >> anyway.
23 > Unmerging the old version of Python isn't unnecessary. Once I
24 > emerge OOo, everything should be indeed be fine. The question
25 > is why does python-update think it needs to re-emerge some
26 > packages that have already been emerged several times since
27 > Python was updated?
30 From the times I have ran into this, it always wants to rebuild them
31 until I remove the old version. No clue why but it worked for me. I
32 agree that after being recompiled it shouldn't need to do it again but
33 it seems to do the same on my rig.
37 >> I know OOo takes a while, it may be a good idea to emerge it too.
40 > Definitely, but it'll have to wait until the computer can be
41 > left up for a day or so (it's a laptop, and it's not often in
42 > one place for that long).
46 Yea, that can be tough on a puter that is mobile and not up for a
47 while. It's not like OOo is a 30 minute compile or anything. It takes
48 6 hours or so on this desktop.
49
50 Dale
51