From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdm 4.2.2 not configurable?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:55:16
1 On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Well I just went back to using two monitors in twinview mode after a few
5 > months of single monitor suffering. But now when KDM start I get half a
6 > screen of garbage on the left half of the left monitor and on the right
7 > half of the right monitor. OK, should just need to set the background
8 > image. So head over to Computer, System Settings, Advanced, Login
9 > Manager but got a problem, everything there is disabled. Docs imply
10 > there should be an Admin button but it's not there (Have: Help,
11 > Defaults, Reset(disabled), & Apply(disabled)).
12 >
13 > Thinking, oh well, off to /usr/kde/4.2/share/config/kdm, edit kdmrc and
14 > set GreeterScreen to -1 (the only multi display setting I saw) to see
15 > what happens. Ran genkdmconf. Restarted xdm. No change.
16 >
17 > Any ideas?
18
19 KDM does the same for me on a wide-screen monitor. In fact it could be
20 a security risk because after logging out of KDE, random pieces of
21 screen from the last session sometimes show up on the garbage parts on
22 the sides, including potentially sensitive information. It does not
23 appear to support any kind of screen size detection. What you need to
24 do is find (or make) a theme that is the same size/aspect ratio as
25 your display setup and then it'll be okay. It's trying to use a 4:3
26 theme on a 8:3 or 16:9 or whatever and apparently the KDM people
27 haven't gotten around to dealing with that yet.