From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix & Pine incompatability
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:56:04
1 On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:58:06 -0400
2 Dave Nebinger wrote:
3
4 > >> We've had two misleading posts on this subject, which basically only
5 > >> offer a guess to a question that is very easily answered!
6 > >
7 > > So I made a gross overlook, but why can't you be civil about it?
8 >
9 > Sorry, Willy, but for as long as Nick has been posting I would just assume
10 > he was having a bad moment and not take it so personally.
11 >
12 > But Nick, my original position was the assumption that the USE flags
13 > controlled the builds and enabled/disabled features as indicated.
14 >
15 > Up to this point I haven't read a single ebuild, and I wouldn't have thought
16 > of going there to check pine's maildir compatibility, so I'm glad you
17 > pointed that out.
18 >
19 > That being said, I've got enough on my plate already; how often is it that
20 > we should be reading ebuilds to find relevant clues to how a package is
21 > going to work when installed?
22
23 Look I apologise for being intemperate, lets move on.
24
25 But lets also remember to be accurate in our posts. I think there is a
26 good deal of "guess the answer" going on on this list, this isn't
27 pointed at anyone in particular.
28
29 So to be positive about it heres how i found the answer:
30
31 1. looked to see if there were mbox or maildir USE flags that affected
32 the build of pine - answer NO
33 2. google "pine maildir" and discover that there are patches in
34 circulation - answer YES
35 3. grep the pine ebuild for the lines with epatch and see that none seem
36 to have any obvious connection with the term "maildir" - answer NO
37 4. grep the ebuild for the term "maildir' and find what i posted.
38
39 I never used to read many ebuilds, now I find its a useful step,
40 particularly to see what effect USE flags have, what changes gentoo
41 makes to the build, and what configuartion files of its own gentoo uses.
42
43 I'm not intending this email to challenge your methodology for
44 troubleshooting, just to point out that:
45
46 a. accurate postings will raise the signal to noise ratio significantly
47 b. reading the ebuild is a worthwhile troubleshooting step.
50 Cheers, Nick
51 >
52 > --
53 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list