From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:30:01
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 January 2007 16:55, Dale wrote:
3 > [SNIP]
4 >
5 >> I have buildpkg set in make.conf. It does tend to consume some
6 >> space though.
9 > You are aware that you can use eclean from app-portage/gentoolkit to clean
10 > binpkgs that you no longer have installed? I tend to use it with
11 > the --destructive option.
14 Yea, I use that. Some of my older systems have small drives though. I
15 even delete everything from distfiles, sometimes I have too. :-O
16 >
17 >> What is say the top ten or twelve programs that would be
18 >> good to have in case of a rescue? I would assume portage, gcc and
19 >> python would be pretty important. I plan to delete the rest for space.
22 > I'd add bash and baselayout too (in addition to Boyds suggestions).
23 >
24 > [SNIP]
25 >
26 >> Also, what commands would a person have to use to make use of those
27 >> buildpkg's? So far, I have not needed one. < says prayer > That
28 >> assumes portage is what is screwed up to begin with.
31 > # cd /
32 > # tar -xjf ${PATH_TO_BINPKG}.tbz2
33 >
34 > When portage is working:
35 >
36 > # emerge -K ${PKG}
37 >
38 > Also if you cannot boot and you have busybox installed, statically linked
39 > adding "init=/bin/busybox" to the boot line should allow you to use busybox
40 > to extract the tarballs. Otherwise a livecd should work.
44 I made a note of those commands. lol Maybe now I won't need them. ;-)
45
46 Here is the list so far:
47
48 portage, gcc, python, pam, acl, nano, reiserfstools, bash, baselayout.
49 We can add in any big packages if we feel froggy, OOo, kdelibs etc etc.
50 May help. Funny though, I haven't had OOo fail to compile or not work
51 right in ages. It just seems to work like it should. Is that lucky or
52 what?
53
54 Anybody think of something else that should be added?? I wonder if I
55 should post this info on the forums? This is something that would be
56 good to know really, especially of you are new to Gentoo.
57
58 Thanks
59
60 Dale