From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:52:00
1 On Sunday 21 January 2007 16:55, Dale wrote:
2 [SNIP]
3 > I have buildpkg set in make.conf. It does tend to consume some
4 > space though.
5
6 You are aware that you can use eclean from app-portage/gentoolkit to clean
7 binpkgs that you no longer have installed? I tend to use it with
8 the --destructive option.
9
10 > What is say the top ten or twelve programs that would be
11 > good to have in case of a rescue? I would assume portage, gcc and
12 > python would be pretty important. I plan to delete the rest for space.
13
14 I'd add bash and baselayout too (in addition to Boyds suggestions).
15
16 [SNIP]
17 > Also, what commands would a person have to use to make use of those
18 > buildpkg's? So far, I have not needed one. < says prayer > That
19 > assumes portage is what is screwed up to begin with.
20
21 # cd /
22 # tar -xjf ${PATH_TO_BINPKG}.tbz2
23
24 When portage is working:
25
26 # emerge -K ${PKG}
27
28 Also if you cannot boot and you have busybox installed, statically linked
29 adding "init=/bin/busybox" to the boot line should allow you to use busybox
30 to extract the tarballs. Otherwise a livecd should work.
33 Bo Andresen