From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building without X
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:43:52
1 On Monday 06 December 2004 18:05, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
2 > Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
3 > > Hi !
4 > >
5 > > First questions ....
6 > >
7 > > What do you want exactly ? Do you need X support or not ?
8 >
9 > apologies for not being clearer. What I want is only X11 client side
10 > support so I can build applications that use X11. Since it is a server
11 > and I will never run X11 server side, I don't want to spend the time or
12 > energy building the X11 server. case in point is Emacs. I don't want
13 > to be limited to what ever I can display via putty but wish to display
14 > Emacs sessions on my desktop X11 server.
15
16 Lemme guess. You are building a server for thing clients otherwise the
17 statement above wouldn't make much sense. Alright, I will assume that.
18
19 The X applications still need all the X-related libs to link against. So you
20 better build the whole X.
21 >
22 > If it is impossible to split X11 into client and server packages, then I
23 > would need some help figuring out why it is dying on two security
24 > related functions.
25
26 So, what are those issues?
27
28 Uwe
31 Alternative phrasing of the First Law of Thermodynamics:
32 If you eat it, and you don't burn it off, you'll sit on it.
33
34 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list