From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 22:50:41
1 On 18/12/2016 23:34, lee wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 18/12/2016 18:47, lee wrote:
5 >>> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
6 >>>
7 >>>> The universe of Linux systems that are running Firefox but not
8 >>>> Pulseaudio is fairly small at this point.
9 >>>
10 >>> Pulseaudio eats away about 10% CPU without any benefit whatsoever, not
11 >>> to mention that it makes things more complex and less reliable. Why
12 >>> would anyone use it?
13 >>>
14 >>> Developers might try to make their lifes easier by developing software
15 >>> to the point where nobody wants to use it, except for the few developers
16 >>> perhaps. With firefox, a policy like that contradicts their claims.
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >>> This is another issue which comes up quite often with FOSS. Developers
20 >>> claim to be doing something in the interest of their users and are
21 >>> asking for support. When you take a closer look, you find that they
22 >>> don't, and when you offer support, they do not want it.
23 >>>
24 >>> Why can't they just say that they are making software for themselves the
25 >>> way they want it and don't care about what anyone else says or wants?
26 >>> It only gives reason to distrust someone when you find that they do not
27 >>> do what they claim to be doing.
28 >>>
29 >>
30 >> I think you are over-simplifying the situation here. Step back and look
31 >> at the problem from the angle of "it's a bunch of people doing stuff"
32 >> and not from a tech-centric angle. It's a people problem.
33 >>
34 >> You could make a valid case that the Mozilla devs are outright lying -
35 >> they said they want xvy, and your offer to help provide xyz was
36 >> rejected. But is it really that simple? I think it's more a case of the
37 >> devs would like contributions for xyz and they don't mention the
38 >> "everyone knows" "hidden assumption" of environment abc and general
39 >> method def. Ahhhh, that's the usual tripping point.
40 >>
41 >> I don't know the specifics of your particular case, but my first
42 >> approximation guess is that there's an abc and def in there which the
43 >> devs didn't think to mention. Happens all the time, usually with
44 >> stunningly obvious stuff that "everyone" thought "everyone else" knew
45 >> about. Things like future roadmaps, planned features, and the individual
46 >> personal preferences of each dev.
47 >>
48 >> I guess I'll saying don't be too quick to shoot from the hip - more
49 >> looking less assuming is often the better path.
50 >
51 > It really is that simple because it is the way it turns out. It doesn't
52 > matter /why/ it turns out that way.
53 >
54 > There is no assuming involved, and I have no reason to try to figure out
55 > what hidden agenda a bunch of developers might have, or to make
56 > assumptions about one. It won't change anything.
57 >
58 > That doesn't keep me from noticing that what is being said is very
59 > different from what is being done. If the bunch of people wants to
60 > change that, /they/ need to do so.
64 I recommend you brush up on your social skills.
65
66 Figuring out what people really mean as opposed to what they say
67 (because those 2 never map exactly) is a very useful skill to cultivate,
68 things are seldom as they appear to your eyes.
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com