From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playing Audio and DVD cds!!!
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 18:57:13
1 On 5/5/06, Christopher E <sensory.access@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello Daniel,
3 >
4 > > He mentioned an error that happens when he click the Gnome (or KDE,
5 > > can't remember) icon at the desktop. Not something he typed...
6 >
7 > Thanks for pointing that out!
8 >
9 > > Try simply NOT USING the icon, and using an application direcly.
10 >
11 > OK, I have tryed this with mplayer, xine, cd player
12 >
13 > With cd player and mplayer I am unable to get the cd to play but it
14 > does show me the metadata for the cd (audio)
15 >
16 > With xine I can play the cd (audio)
19 Man, something only look at the screen could explain. Wow, now, THAT
20 is a problem, you can access it, but can't play it... Do you have an
21 digital audio cable connecting your drive to your motherboard or audio
22 card? Its a shot in the dark, but...
25 > > Emerge mplayer and:
26 > I have "emerged mplayer"
27 >
28 > > mplayer dvd://
29 > what is this and where do I do this?
30
31 >From any console/terminal you just type it...
34 > > for example. Try XMMS to play audio CDs. Have you tried just playing
35 > > them with the app?
36 >
37 > See above for this response
38 >
39 > > Or are you still wanting them to be played
40 > > automagically?
41 > Rigtht now I don't care if there play auto or not but at a time I
42 > would like this.
43
44 Well, I don't know much of gnome/had/dbus/automounter etc, but right
45 now I would be happy if you were able to use those apps to lauch audio
46 and DVDs.
49 > I guess your problem is configuration of the WM and maybe some
50 > dependency or whatever linked to the way the WM deals with the icons
51 > on the desktop.
52 > I am using Gnome that portage has of latest one I think, and x11 how
53 > do I do this and so on I am a very new users that had done this setup
54 > now over 5 times as I run in to one issue or entother?
55
56 Well, no one ever said it would be easy ;) Ok, maybe someone did, but
57 its a lie, each machine/configuration may have its own bugs/issues.
58 Welcome to the place you know something is wrong and you can fix it
59 somehow (in that "how" I don't include formatting/reinstalling or
60 buying ugly and expensive software).
61
62 Ok, let me gather some more info. When you play it with xine you see
63 no errors right? When trying to play it with xmms or mplayer, what you
64 get? Does the timer goes as it is playing and no sound, does it
65 freezes, it simply do nothing?
68 > > You DO NOT MOUNT audio CDs, that would probably return an error and/or
69 > > block the device for direct reading (in the case of a DVD).
70 > I tryed this as a test to see if that was the issue and it did not
71 > help so I rebooted after it
72
73 You don't have to, just umount it and/or exit the app that you used to do it.
74 Not rebooting after every software install was one of the reasons I
75 left the world of windows.
78 Daniel da Veiga
79 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
87 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list