From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 01:42:31
1 On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On 02/15/2014 08:09 PM, walt wrote:
3 >> On 02/15/2014 12:30 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 >>> The social
5 >>> tactics at work from the systemd team (and verily, other Red Hat
6 >>> projects like GNOME) are reminiscent of Microsoft through the use of the
7 >>> "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" methodology.
8 >>
9 >> I certainly share your hostility towards M$ for suppressing competition.
10 >>
11 >> Red Hat, like M$, is a for-profit corporation, so I share your suspicion
12 >> that they want to suppress their competitors (though I don't know who
13 >> their competitors are).
14 >>
15 >> But comparing a completely closed-source shop like M$ to any open source
16 >> company leaves me feeling uneasy. I can't find the exact argument to
17 >> explain my unease, but I'm hoping someone else will jump in with a more
18 >> rational argument.
19 >>
20 > I think I understand where you're coming from. "How can they compare
21 > when Red Hat releases their source under a liberating license while MS
22 > locks it down behind closed doors?"
23 >
24 > That's missing the point, though.
25
26 No, it's not.
27
28 > In the FOSS world, that's the "bait",
29 > so to speak. The wolf in sheep's clothing. Red Hat can release (or hack
30 > on) a bunch of attractive software or features, get people interested
31 > (so interested that, say, the majority of distros depend on it *wink
32 > wink*), and then use that influence to indirectly control where FOSS
33 > moves. By striking the weakest part of the stack (sysv probably *did*
34 > need a good replacement, but not one as ambitious as systemd) and
35 > digging down into the kernel level (kdbus), Red Hat devs will now have a
36 > very influential role in the FOSS world. This will in turn generate
37 > interest (and thus profit) in Red Hat.
38
39 First of all, you do realize that Greg Kroah-Hartman, the primary
40 author of kdbus, works for the Linux Foundation, right? Not RedHat.
41
42 Second, good for RedHat if they can turn a profit. Meanwhile the code
43 from the whole stack is free, and anyone willing and able can fork it
44 and use, enhance, or replace any part of it. And yes, I said replace.
45
46 So, again, the comparison makes no sense at all.
47
48 > It's marginally clever, but so clearly obvious at the same time. It's
49 > sad (to me) that the community didn't see it coming.
50
51 So you are saying we are idiots? Or just naive? Or both? And *all* of
52 us who use systemd and think is a great idea?
53
54 Damn, if only we had knew. Too bad you didn't come before to open our
55 eyes to this undeniable truth. Now it's too late, the sky is falling
56 and the world will end on fire and brim.
57
58 > Those who did have
59 > been written off as conspiracy theorists or FUDders. Time will reveal all.
60
61 Indeed it will. Wanna bet a beer?
62
63 Regards.