From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 00:08:51
1 On 02/15/2014 08:09 PM, walt wrote:
2 > On 02/15/2014 12:30 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >> The social
4 >> tactics at work from the systemd team (and verily, other Red Hat
5 >> projects like GNOME) are reminiscent of Microsoft through the use of the
6 >> "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" methodology.
7 >
8 > I certainly share your hostility towards M$ for suppressing competition.
9 >
10 > Red Hat, like M$, is a for-profit corporation, so I share your suspicion
11 > that they want to suppress their competitors (though I don't know who
12 > their competitors are).
13 >
14 > But comparing a completely closed-source shop like M$ to any open source
15 > company leaves me feeling uneasy. I can't find the exact argument to
16 > explain my unease, but I'm hoping someone else will jump in with a more
17 > rational argument.
22 I think I understand where you're coming from. "How can they compare
23 when Red Hat releases their source under a liberating license while MS
24 locks it down behind closed doors?"
25
26 That's missing the point, though. In the FOSS world, that's the "bait",
27 so to speak. The wolf in sheep's clothing. Red Hat can release (or hack
28 on) a bunch of attractive software or features, get people interested
29 (so interested that, say, the majority of distros depend on it *wink
30 wink*), and then use that influence to indirectly control where FOSS
31 moves. By striking the weakest part of the stack (sysv probably *did*
32 need a good replacement, but not one as ambitious as systemd) and
33 digging down into the kernel level (kdbus), Red Hat devs will now have a
34 very influential role in the FOSS world. This will in turn generate
35 interest (and thus profit) in Red Hat.
36
37 It's marginally clever, but so clearly obvious at the same time. It's
38 sad (to me) that the community didn't see it coming. Those who did have
39 been written off as conspiracy theorists or FUDders. Time will reveal all.
40
41 ~Daniel