From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 07:23:36
1 On Thu, Sep 01, 2016 at 08:13:23AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > it will take about 5 seconds to partition it.
4 > And a few more to mkfs it.
5 >
6 > Are you sure you aren't thinking of mkfs with ext2 (which did take hours
7 > for a drive that size?
8
9 Some people do a full systems check (i.e. badblocks) before entrusting a
10 drive with anything important.
11
12 > > Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
13 > > into smaller logical ones and why?
14 >
15 > The only reason to partition a drive is to get 2 or more
16 > smaller ones that differ somehow (size, inode ratio, mount options, etc)
17
18 If you want to do backups, then of course the file system is important, so
19 it retains permissions and stuff. Your ext4 choice is the right one in that
20 case. However, I partitioned by backupdrive into two partitions, so the one
21 with the sensitive data can be encrypted. The big partition that holds media
22 files has not got that treatment.
23
24 > Go with no partition table by all means, but if you one day find you
25 > need one, you will have to copy all your data off, repartition, and copy
26 > your data back.
27
28 When I do the mentioned partitioning sceme, I put the biggest partition at
29 the beginning of the drive and the smaller one(s) at the back. That way,
30 should I ever actually need to resize a partition, I only have to export the
31 smaller partition for the process (or none at all, if it’s just a backup
32 itself and I have another backup on another drive).
33 Of course there’s LVM these days, but up until recently, I used NTFS for the
34 media partition so I could also read it in $DUMB_OS, which doesn’t know LVM.
35 Only a short while back, I also switched to ext4 for that, so I can retain
36 file names with : and ? in them. But I still refrained from using LVM,
37 though.
40 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
41 ’ve been using vi for 15 years, because I don’t know with which command
42 to close it.