From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any video optimization tips?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:14:50
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  I'm trying to make an older PC display high-def streaming video.  It's
3 > a Dell Inspiron Desktop 530, with 2 gigs of ram, assembled and shipped
4 > August 2007.  It has an Intel dual core (*NOT* a "Core Duo") cpu like so
5 > (from /proc/cpuinfo).
6 >
7 > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
8 > cpu family      : 6
9 > model           : 15
10 > model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU            2140  @ 1.60GHz
11 > stepping        : 2
12 > cpu MHz         : 1595.660
13 > cache size      : 1024 KB
14 >
15 >  The original Intel onboard GPU wasn't really up to the task.  I bought
16 > an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card, set it up, and it handles 1280x720p
17 > video OK, from my HDHomerun TV tuner box.  1920x1080i shows the
18 > occasional hint of stuttering.  I followed the instructions at
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml including the Nouveau
20 > driver.  I'm running ICEWM to minimize system overhead.  Are there any
21 > other tips and tricks for getting better video performance out of this
22 > admittedly old system?  glxgears shows 382 fps when the system is idle.
23 >
24 >  It works without an xorg.conf.  This also happens to my mdev test
25 > machine (no udev).  I'm attaching the Xorg log file for more detail.
26
27 Use any nVidia card capable of full, in-hardware decoding of full
28 h.264 AVC. I've got two GeForce 210s which I purchased because A) they
29 were $50/pc two years ago, and B) they did exactly this.
30
31 Then enable vdpau. (But that means running the proprietary drivers,
32 disabling KMS, disabling NOVOU, etc)
33
34 Then use any media player with support for vdpau. I know mplayer will
35 do it. I'm unsure about ffmpeg, flash, etc.
36
37 With an (old) $50 card, you can get an old Core 2 desktop system to
38 serve as an HTPC.
42 :wq