From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Purging Gnome from the system
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:24:21
1 On Tuesday 12 September 2006 13:01, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > I decided to purge Gnome from my system as I seldom run it. A
3 > quick look in the gnome ebuild shows that it's a
4 > ginormous -meta package, meaning I have some work ahead of me.
5 >
6 > First I updated USE and removed gnome, gstreamer and other
7 > gnome-related flags. I left gtk in for the likes of gimp which
8 > I do use.
9
10 gimp doesn't require the gtk use flag globally. The only thing it needs to be
11 compiled with the gtk use flag is app-text/poppler-bindings. The only
12 packages that I have compiled with gtk are app-text/poppler-bindings,
13 app-editors/gvim and net-analyzer/wireshark.
14
15 > Then manually unmerged a ton of gnome packages,
16 > intending to finish up with 'emerge --depclean'
17 > and 'revdep-rebuild' to fix the mistakes I'd made.
18
19 An easier approach here might be to just edit /var/lib/portage/world manually
20 and remove the gnome etc. apps that you are no longer interested in and let
21 emerge --depclean -va do it's job...
22
23 > Imagine my surprise when remerging openoffice wants to pull in
24 > half of gnome again. I can understand it needs gtk, I do not
25 > understand why it wants evolution-data-server, gconf and
26 > gnome-panel.
27
28 Add "-eds" to your use flags. openoffice doesn't wan't a single gnome app on
29 my computer so if it still wants some it because of some use flag...
32 Bo Andresen