From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:50:07
1 Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 08/18/2010 11:03 AM, Nganon wrote:
4 > > Clear now, thanks.
7 > > If you want a robust filesystem, look into ZFS/BTRFS.
10 > > AFAIK ZFS is unmaintained and BTRFS is not stable, am I wrong?
11
12 Why do you believe ZFS is unmaintained?
13
14 > Not really. ZFS is only available on Solaris right now. I seem to
15 > remember it was running on one of the BSD's, too, since it's a matter of
16 > licensing that is the hurdle of greatest height. I've only played with
17 > BTRFS on my dev box and the simple workout I gave it did not tax it in
18 > any way--it worked okay.
19
20 ZFS has a very free license. This was the reason, why it could be ported to the
21 BSDs. So why do you believe there is a "license hurdle"?
22
23 Also note: btrfs now is three years old. ZFS was started aprox. 10 years ago.
24 For this reason, btrfs is expected to need another 7 years to readh the level
25 of stability currently seen with ZFS.
28 Jörg
31 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
32 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)
33 joerg.schilling@××××××××××××××××.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/