From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I think I messed up USE flag by using -alsa as Gnome has no sound
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:37:36
1 Richard Watson schreef:
2 >>>Have you loaded the newly-compiled alsa driver modules for your sound
3 >>>card, run alsaconf and unmuted the mixer via alsamixer?
4 >>>Holly
7 > Hi again - I tried
8 > # emerge -s alsa
9 > and got loads of output. Would you know what the correct emerge command is
10 > for the alsa driver modules? Does alsaconf come as part of the driver
11 > install?
12
13 If you are using a 2.6-series kernel, the alsa drivers are part of your
14 *kernel* config, and no additional driver package is necessary to emerge
15 (although some people like to, but that's another story).
16
17 Alsaconf is part of the alsa-utils package. If you are using the
18 kernel's alsa drivers (which are perfectly adequate), you probably want
19 to emerge all the other packages that are *not* alsa-driver in order to
20 get everything working properly under all circumstances:
21
22 alsa-lib (required)
23
24 alsa-headers (probably required)
25
26 alsa-utils (required)
27
28 alsa-tools (required)
29
30 alsa-oss (probably optional)
31
32 alsa-firmware (probably optional)
33
34 You might also want a systray applet for the mixer if you're using KDE
35 or GNOME:
36
37 kamix
38
39 gamix
42 > I had installed alsamixer (with -alsa ...) earlier and it loads a blank
43 > interface with no controls at all.
44 >
45 > At this stage I'm doing
46 > # emerge --update --ask --deep --verbose --newuse --tree world
47 > as setting alsa on is asking quite few items to want to recompile.
50 OK, stop where you are. Hands off the 'Enter' key ;-) .
51
52 First, you need to confirm your kernel config. I'm going to assume that
53 we're going for a standard setup with the kernel modules compiled into
54 the kernel, rather than as loadable nodules.
55
56 Let's look at the output of
57
58 lsmod
59
60 and see what modules are already loaded. You're looking for items that
61 start with
62
63 snd-
64
65 and also items that contain
66
67 i810
68
69 But don't worry if you don't see them; statically compiled kernel
70 drivers don't show in this list anyway. But it's a pre-check before we
71 check the kernel itself. Now, you could look at the .config file in a
72 text editor, but ... spare me. Especially if you're a genkernel user,
73 that's even more confusing to figure out. Since I don't know if you are
74 in fact a genkernel user, and I furthermore don't know a thing about
75 genkernel (meaning, I don't know squat about initrds), we're just going
76 to look at the kernel the way I know how to do it
77
78 cd /usr/src/linux
79
80 make menuconfig
81
82 NOTE: if you are a genkernel user, you can (apparently) also do
83 genkernel --menuconfig
84
85 for the same effect, and then you'll still get a new initrd if you make
86 changes (and save them).
87
88 OK, now that we're in the menuconfig, we want to know the following:
89
90 1. Is support for the onboard components of your motherboard compiled
91 into the kernel (I am assuming that the soundcard is enabled in your
92 BIOS, which is necessary for it to work at all)?
93
94 2. Is support for a) sound, b) ALSA and c)ALSA OSS emulation available,
95 and if so, as a module or statically?
96
97 3. Are the drivers for your particular sound card compiled, and if so,
98 statically or as a module?
99
100 So check these settings:
101
102 Device Drivers=>ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support=> AMD and nVidia IDE support
105 Device Drivers=>Character Devices=>NVIDIA nForce/nForce2 chipset support
108 (these are both to add support for what is *supposed* to be
109 'other'motherboard resources than onboard sound, but-- since I don't
110 know how motherboards are wired, thus 'what is really connected to
111 what'-- I tend to feel that one wants to confirm any and all 'special'
112 drivers for one's mobo chipset. Besides which, next after sound is all
113 straightened out, you may well want to configure support for 3D hardware
114 accelleration for your video card, in which case you'll be happy to
115 already know whether your mobo's agp support is active or not :-) ).
116
117 But these are the important ones to check:
118
119 Device Drivers=>Sound=> Sound card support
120
121 Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA=> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
122
123 Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA=> Sequencer support
124
125 Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA=> OSS Mixer API
128 Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA=> OSS PCM (digital audio) API
129
130 Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA=> OSS Sequencer API
131
132 Device Drivers=>Sound=>ALSA=>PCI devices=>Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD/ALi AC97
133 Controller
134
135 These are the 'necessary drivers' for your sound card, and the ALSA/ALSA
136 OSS emulation backend.
137
138 We can argue for a month as to whether these should be compiled as
139 modules or statically, but I have found with both onboard sound and an
140 external sound card that the following config offers the least issues
141 (* = static, M = module):
142
143 Sound card support M
144
145 ALSA * (however, if you want to use the alsa-driver package, this *must*
146 be M, or the emerge will fail)
147
148 Sequencer support M
149
150 OSS Mixer API M
151
152 OSS PCM M
153
154 OSS Sequencer * (no choice)
155
156 Actual card driver M
157
158 If any of these are missing, you'll have to select them, recompile the
159 kernel and reboot to the recompiled kernel.
160
161 Your problems may already be solved, if you have previously set up
162 alsasound and the like, but the drivers could not be found to load
163 anything. In which case, have fun!
164
165 If it still doesn't work, we can then move on to Part 2: setting up Alsa
166 on the system (as opposed to setting it up in the kernel).
167
168 And don't worry-- it's kind of a pain, but you pretty much only have to
169 do all this work once.
170
171 HTH,
172 Holly