From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop-aes
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 02:30:33
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 Daniel Iliev wrote:
5 | On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:40:08 -0400
6 | Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
7 |
8 |
9 |> My original question was: Does anyone know how to compile the
10 |> "extra-ciphers" package that you can find on the loop-aes SourceForge
11 |> site.
12 |
13 | The following works here:
14 |
15 | 1) ebuild `equery w loop-aes` unpack
16 |
17 | 2) cd $PORTDIR/sys-fs/loop-aes-<version>/work/loop-AES-<version>/
18 |
19 | 3) make EXTRA_CIPHERS=y
20 |
21 | 4) cd ../../
22 |
23 | 5) touch .compiled
24 |
25 | 6) cd
26 |
27 | 7) ebuild `equery w loop-aes` merge
28 |
29 |
30 | (I actually stopped only up to step 3, but it finished w/o error)
31 |
32 |
33 | Since you said something about lack of documentation about loop-aes,
34 | have you already found this?
35 |
36 | http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README
37 |
38 |
39 | NOTE: "In order to support AES and other ciphers, mount, umount,
40 | losetup, swapon and swapoff need to be patched and
41 | recompiled."
42 |
43 | There's a hope - Gentoo may provide a patched version of util-linux.
44 | In case those tools are not already patched I wouldn't go that far on
45 | a system which is not especially dedicated for this encryption test of
46 | yours.
47
48 Thanks for this. I will give it a try, when I get a chance. It is not really
49 an encryption test, as you put it, so much as it is frustration at not being
50 able to get the extra ciphers to compile.
51
52 Oh, and Gentoo already patches util-linux with the patch from loop-aes. One
53 big problem that people are experiencing right now it that since the testing
54 version of util-linux got bumped up, the old patch will not work anymore - this
55 has to be fixed upstream, but I doubt they will do so until the new version of
56 util-linux is proven stable. For some reason, the 2.6.24 kernel patch works
57 with the 2.6.25 version of the kernel, probably because the files it changes
58 have not yet changed.
59
60 Regards,
61 Chris