From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 19:31:37
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > And this again. You know the difference between OpenSource and ClosedSource?
4 >
5 > You pay for ClosedSource. For OpenSource you don't need to pay. But I
6 > have neither time nor energy to explain you the philosophy (before
7 > Poetterix) of OpenSource.
8
9 OpenSource has nothing to do with whether something costs money. Not
10 even RMS or ESR would agree with "For OpenSource you don't need to
11 pay."
12
13 For starters, all software costs somebody something. It might be
14 offered for free TO YOU, but somebody spent a lot of time and effort
15 making it, and somebody may or may not have been compensated to do it.
16
17 Here is a decent overview from the FSF's perspective, though they're
18 more focused on free software than open source:
19 https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
20
21 Here is their take on free software vs open source:
22 https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
23
24 Now, if you asked ESR for his take he'd have a different perspective,
25 though he'd agree with the FSF that neither has anything to do with
26 whether you have to pay for it, and he would agree on the
27 differentiation between OSS and FOSS.
28
29 Some off the cuff definitions:
30 Open Source: generally means the author makes the source code
31 available. OSI has their take on it which most people accept:
32 https://opensource.org/osd
33 Free Software: licensed in a manner that guarantees the FSF's four
34 freedoms. https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
35
36 In general all free software is open source, but not all open source
37 software is free software.
38
39 Either can be free as in beer or not. It is completely legal for me
40 to download a Debian DVD, make some changes to it, put a copy of the
41 source code on the DVD, and offer to sell it to you for $5000 licensed
42 under its original licenses. The only thing I can't do is prevent you
43 from sticking an image of that DVD on your website after you buy it so
44 that nobody else has to buy it from me. In practice a lot of it tends
45 to be free as in beer because FOSS licenses make it impossible to
46 prevent somebody from offering it free of charge, and people tend not
47 to pay for something when they can get the same thing for free.
48 However, companies like Red Hat can and do charge for their distros
49 all the same, usually offering things like support to entice people to
50 pay. When you buy RHEL you're buying the software and not just the
51 support, even if you could get most of it for free without paying for
52 it.
53
54 > But I can tell you this much. OpenSource and
55 > its developers usually have no commercial intentions.
56
57 This is true of some open source software. I'm not convinced it is
58 even true for most of it.
59
60 Half of the companies that contribute to Linux are for-profit entities
61 that have a profit motive behind their contributions. Some of the
62 most popular Linux distros like Ubuntu and RHEL are for-profit
63 enterprises. A few major projects are backed by foundations, but IMO
64 some of them are really only non-profit in the sense that they don't
65 pay dividends to anybody (heck, the US National Football League is
66 non-profit by that definition); some of them have small armies of
67 executives and administrative staff like any other large corporation.
68 Quite a bit of FOSS isn't developed by organizations like Gentoo which
69 are community based with low amounts of money going around.
70
71 A lot of FOSS is also failed commercial software, or parallel
72 community versions to commercial software (think Fedora/CentOS, or the
73 old MySQL model).
74
75 And there is nothing wrong with any of this. It is just free
76 software. At worst you can just ignore it. At best you can adapt it
77 to your own needs, or just use it as-is if it fits your needs. We
78 aren't worse off because somebody made it available to us. I might
79 never use RHEL, but the fact that it is out there doesn't hurt me.
80 Maybe the fact that RHEL is actually paying developers means that
81 fewer of them have free time to donate (assuming that you don't care
82 for the stuff RedHat does contribute), but who am I to begrudge
83 somebody the right to make a living? Programmers don't have to be
84 starving artists to claim some kind of moral superiority.
85
86 Personally I prefer to work in a community-based environment, which is
87 why I'm here and not running Debian (well, that's just one reason, I
88 also prefer the Gentoo approach in general and have used Gentoo since
89 long before openrc even existed, let alone systemd). Ultimately
90 though we're just a small part of a much larger ecosystem. There are
91 things about that ecosystem that I like more, and things that I like
92 less. However, if we allow developers the freedom to create what they
93 want to create then we're going to need to deal with the reality that
94 sometimes they won't want to create the things we want them to.
97 Rich