From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 without udev/eudev
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:59:26
1 On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 3:32 PM <karl@××××××××.se> wrote:
2 [...]
3
4 > I'll be looking into that, but on some level, why should I be forced to
5 > go around udev. Can't programs be compiled without udev today...
8 Yes, they can, if you (or someone else) write the necessary code, debug it,
9 maintain it and keep it up to date and fix vulnerabilities and other errors
10 that inevitably will appear, as it does with every piece of software.
13 > Udev should be an optional deamon, utilized when the local administrator
14 > decides to do so.
17 Wrong: the use of udev is to be decided by the developers of the code that
18 uses it. If you don't like it, then you write your own. The code is free
19 and open.
20
21 Udev solves a very real problem, because most modern PCs have dynamic
22 hardware; we connect and disconnect multiple devices from it all the time,
23 and the vast majority of users prefer it when it simply works
24 automagically. Moreover, it *also* works with static hardware, so it hits
25 two birds with one stone.
26
27 You want developers to write code that only benefits the simplest and most
28 boring case: a PC that never changes hardware. Any sane developer will
29 obviously prefer to depend on udev, which solves every case and it has the
30 most users (and therefore feedback for detecting and correcting bugs, and
31 also to ask for new features and capabilities).
34 > I don't want things to automatically pop up unless I say so.
37 Then write yourself the corresponding software, or pay someone to do it.
38 Otherwise, complaining (while cathartic and the preferred hobby of most of
39 the internet) is completely useless.
40
41 Regards.
42 --