From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: pambase/shadow warning
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 18:24:28
1 On Sun, Apr 22 2012, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 03:52:39 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >
5 >> > > The comments there say that if you run etc-update right after the
6 >> > > emerge all is well (but this isn't sufficient for people who use
7 >> > > screen, detatch, and log out). Someone also mentioned
8 >> > > dispatch-conf working. No one mentioned cfg-update, which I use
9 >> > > (and I believe neil does as well). Could the problem be dependent
10 >> > > on which configuration file updater one uses?
11 >>
12 >> No, he is using conf-update, which is a different utility.
13 >
14 > Yes, and it appears that conf-update handles orphaned ._cfg files poorly.
15 > Whether these files are allowed to exist or not it not really relevant,
16 > it should handle the situation, time for a bug report.
17 >
18 > Incidentally, if anyone gets hit by this, the simple fix is to re-emerge
19 > shadow with --noconfmem, which installs the missing files.
20
21 First, thanks for the fix, hopefully not needed.
22
23 It appears that the bug is in conf-update and not shadow so the rather
24 brusque changing of the status of the shadow bug to "resolved" might be
25 appropriate. But it would have been nice if they mentioned conf-update
26 and neil's fix.
27
28 So the way to avoid the problem is to run a configuration file updater
29 other than conf-update right after the emerge world. Since I use
30 cfg-update, this would explain why I had not problem on my secondary.
31 Having also ensured that I can use key-based ssh from the secondary to
32 my primary machine, I am now unmasking pambase and shadow on the
33 primary.
34
35 Hopefully soon the conf-update exception can be removed.
36
37 thanks again,
38 allan