From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Process to resize ext3 file system at the command line?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 00:14:18
1 On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:34:14 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> OK, so returning to your original response, you suggest increasing the
5 >> size of each physical partition and then resizing each of the physical
6 >> partitions independently? (/dev/sdwhatever instead of /dev/md6
7 >> directly?)
8 >>
9 >> Is there a reason or personal experience you have to not to resize the
10 >> RAID-5 directly?
11 >
12 > Do you have separately partitioned drives with those partitions arranged
13 > into single-partition arrays, or do you have one RAID device that is then
14 > partitioned?
15 >
16 > If the latter, you should certainly work with the md device.
17 >
18 > I prefer to avoid all this confusion by creating a large, single
19 > partition array that I use an an LVM physical volume.
20
21 Separately partitioned drives arranged into RAID arrays.
22
23 I don't do LVM. Every time I look at the instructions for setting it
24 up I fall asleep. Also, I have varying needs in terms of space, speed
25 & redundancy, so I'm not clear that a single RAID of any type with LVM
26 on top would have met my needs.
27
28 - Mark