From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kerninst (was Optional /usr merge in Gentoo)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:03:01
1 On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 01.09.2013 19:30, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
3 >> I am following vanilla-sources in all my machines, which is what
4 >> people like Greg Kroah-Hartman actually recommends [1][2]. Since they
5 >> are now never stabilized [3], this means that I need to update them
6 >> pretty regularly to keep them safe.
7 >>
8 >> This implies that I have to change the /usr/src/linux symbolic link,
9 >> configure the kernel using make oldconfig, compile it, install it,
10 >> install its modules, reemerge any package that provides kernel modules
11 >> (if any), regenerate its initramfs, regenerate the GRUB2 config file
12 >> OR adding a new entry in GRUB.
13 >>
14 >> None of this steps are particularly difficult, but any mistake in one
15 >> of them can result in an unbootable system. So I wrote a little script
16 >> that takes care of each of this steps automagically:
17 >>
18 >> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
19 >>
20 >> So now everytime I need to use a new kernel version, I only do:
21 >>
22 >> # eselect kernel set <new-kernel>
23 >> # kerninst
24 >>
25 >> Everything is done by the script.
28 > Canek, how to handle changing configs?
29 >
30 > AFAI understand I do:
31 >
32 > eselect kernel set x
33 > cd /usr/src/linux
34 > make menuconfig
35 > (SAVE .config)
36 > cp .config /etc/kerninst/kernel-config
37 > kerninst
38 >
39 > ... right?
40 >
41 > I am currently struggling with a kernel not showing /dev/kvm ... and
42 > toggling kvm_amd on/module ... etc
43
44 Yeah, that's the way to do it. However, kerninst is not for testing
45 different configurations of kernels. I suppose you could use it that
46 way, but I wrote exactly for the opposite case: when you finally have
47 your configuration nailed down, and just want to automatize the
48 installation of the kernel.
49
50 Regards.
51 --