From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kerninst (was Optional /usr merge in Gentoo)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:49:02
1 Am 01.09.2013 19:30, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > I am following vanilla-sources in all my machines, which is what
3 > people like Greg Kroah-Hartman actually recommends [1][2]. Since they
4 > are now never stabilized [3], this means that I need to update them
5 > pretty regularly to keep them safe.
6 >
7 > This implies that I have to change the /usr/src/linux symbolic link,
8 > configure the kernel using make oldconfig, compile it, install it,
9 > install its modules, reemerge any package that provides kernel modules
10 > (if any), regenerate its initramfs, regenerate the GRUB2 config file
11 > OR adding a new entry in GRUB.
12 >
13 > None of this steps are particularly difficult, but any mistake in one
14 > of them can result in an unbootable system. So I wrote a little script
15 > that takes care of each of this steps automagically:
16 >
17 > https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
18 >
19 > So now everytime I need to use a new kernel version, I only do:
20 >
21 > # eselect kernel set <new-kernel>
22 > # kerninst
23 >
24 > Everything is done by the script.
27 Canek, how to handle changing configs?
28
29 AFAI understand I do:
30
31 eselect kernel set x
32 cd /usr/src/linux
33 make menuconfig
34 (SAVE .config)
35 cp .config /etc/kerninst/kernel-config
36 kerninst
37
38 ... right?
39
40 I am currently struggling with a kernel not showing /dev/kvm ... and
41 toggling kvm_amd on/module ... etc
42
43 Thanks, Stefan