From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: off-topic: logitech mice (MX1000)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 04:28:41
1 At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:36:45 -0500 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 11:06 -0800, walt wrote:
4 >> > If you look at the amazon page you can sort of see the left and
5 >> right
6 >> > arrows.
7 >>
8 >> I think a mouse that complicated would make me crazy.
9 >
10 > There was a time when Windows and Mac users criticized X11 because it
11 > had too many buttons (3).
12 >
13 > Nowadays, Windows users seem to require 20 different buttons, wheels,
14 > knobs, and whatever else they can throw on a pointer device, whereas
15 > Macs seem to want to get rid of buttons altogether but require the user
16 > to do cartwheels and other acrobatics with their fingers in order to do
17 > a simple cut/paste.
18 >
19 > FWIW, I have a Logitech mouse with a wheel that scrolls up and down,
20 > presses down, and clicks left and right. All seem to work fine, except
21 > I don't use the latter as I haven't found any purpose for it although I
22 > could possibly see it replacing ALT-Tab. Nah... to confusing.
23
24 Right. Mine (MX 1000) has those plus others (I inherited the mouse).
25 My problem is that several of these send multiple events (i.e. clicking
26 one physical button results in two button-down events for different X11
27 buttons and then the corresponding two button-up events).
28
29 I wonder how to handle this. Actually, I have trouble believing it so
30 wonder if I have some config wrong, but mine are very simple configs.
31
32 allan