From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware-server + gentoo kernel 2.6.28 - compiling problem
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:28:12
1 On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Pongracz Istvan
2 <pongracz.istvan@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > 2008. 12. 30, kedd keltezéssel 15.05-kor Paul Hartman ezt írta:
4 >
5 >> > Dude, I am tired.............. :)
6 >>
7 >> Congratulations and enjoy your VMware until the next kernel release
8 >> breaks everything again. :P
9 >>
10 >> Paul
11 >
12 > Thank you Pauk :)
13 >
14 > I think, it is better to get a linux friendly scanner to avoid using
15 > vmware again.
16 > Even they wrote, enjoy vmware, I can't. Not on my desktop to use this
17 > bloody scanner nor on some servers.
18 > We will migrate from vmware to openvz soon. There are some stupid
19 > problems with vmware. For example the clock rate is different in the
20 > same guest on two identical hosts (hardware+os). On one host the
21 > internal clock working "well", but on the other host (same hardware/OS)
22 > the clock speed is double. The mentioned solution did not work, of
23 > course.
24 >
25 > Anyway, if somebody has a working (but retired) linux friendly scanner
26 > and he/she did not (or will) use it, please send it to me :)
27 >
28 > Thank you and Happy New Year,
29 > István
30
31 I don't know your specific needs when it comes to scanning, but a few
32 years ago (2005) I got an Epson Perfection 2400 on eBay for about $15
33 USD. It is USB and has worked great with Gentoo (media-gfx/iscan)...
34 Epson seems to have an active Linux driver development team with
35 releases usually every month, and you can check their website for
36 recently added scanners to the supported list. I have not used any
37 other scanner in Linux, but so far I am perfectly happy with this
38 Epson (especially for $15).
39
40 http://avasys.jp/english/linux_e/
41