From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:46:21
1 On 23/02/12 22:24, Willie WY Wong wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:55:07PM +0200, Penguin Lover Nikos Chantziaras squawked:
3 >> The PGO optimized build that Mozilla is shipping. You can also build
4 >> with PGO from source, but that means building FF *twice* in a row (by
5 >> enabling the "pgo" USE flag). I doubt that with the old laptop anyone
6 >> is building FF twice with PGO, and that means that the -bin package
7 >> should be faster.
8 >
9 > Call me a sadist, but on my netbook I did build FF with +pgo.
10 >
11 > I figured, if I was going to let it build overnight and more, why not?
12 > :)
13
14 If you think it's worth the hassle, why not. Personally, the only
15 reason I would build from source on such a slow system is to get a
16 64-bit build, since the -bin package seems to be 32-bit. That means the
17 GUI is going to look like ass on AMD64 (due to lack of 32-bit versions
18 of the Gtk theme engines.)
19
20 If you're on 32-bit to begin with, and you're building with "pgo"
21 enabled, then my guess is that the performance compared to the -bin
22 package is about the same. But as I said previously, this can be easily
23 tested by running a browser benchmark, such as this:
24
25 http://krakenbenchmark.mozilla.org
26
27 You could compare the results of the -bin package vs your self-compiled one.