From: Willie WY Wong <wongwwy@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox-10.0.1 fails to compile on x86
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:18:55
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:43:47PM +0200, Penguin Lover Nikos Chantziaras squawked:
2 > If you think it's worth the hassle, why not. Personally, the only
3 > reason I would build from source on such a slow system is to get a
4 > 64-bit build, since the -bin package seems to be 32-bit. That means the
5 > GUI is going to look like ass on AMD64 (due to lack of 32-bit versions
6 > of the Gtk theme engines.)
7
8 Actually, why is it that upstream does not provide 64bit binaries? (It
9 always bothers me to see my wife's Windows 7 machines running a copy
10 of firefox marked, in parenthesis, 32 bit.)
11
12 > If you're on 32-bit to begin with, and you're building with "pgo"
13 > enabled, then my guess is that the performance compared to the -bin
14 > package is about the same. But as I said previously, this can be easily
15 > tested by running a browser benchmark, such as this:
16 >
17 > http://krakenbenchmark.mozilla.org
18 >
19 > You could compare the results of the -bin package vs your self-compiled one.
20
21 I should definitely do that.
22
23 W
24 --
25 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
26 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton