From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why would portage not update a package?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:52
1 Dave Nebinger wrote:
2 > Okay, I finished an "emerge --update --deep world" this morning. Everything
3 > was cool.
4 >
5 > This afternoon, however, I decide I want to install eclipse to migrate a
6 > windows java development effort to my gentoo box.
7 >
8 > Did an "emerge --pretend dev-util/eclipse-sdk" to see what I was going to get.
9 >
10 > I was surprised to see it wanting to emerge ant-core because I thought I
11 > already had it in place, so a quick eix call results in:
12 >
13 > dnebinger@butthead ~ $ eix ant-core
14 > Search results: 1
15 > * dev-java/ant-core
16 > Available versions: 1.5.4-r2 1.6.2-r5 ~1.6.5-r2
17 > Installed: 1.6.2
18 > Homepage: http://ant.apache.org/
20 > XML configuration files.
21 >
22 > So obviously it is in there, in my world file and everything.
23 >
24 > The question is, shouldn't portage have updated to the latest -r5 ebuild as a
25 > result of the "--update --deep world" update previously?
26
27 The likely explanation is that ant-core is not a dependency (direct or deep) of your "world" list. One way to verify is with "emerge -a depclean". If you want to keep any of the depclean packages then you should add some to /var/lib/portage/world.
28
29 Zac
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list