From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ripper that generates song titles?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 00:20:59
1 On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 10:38:44AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > 4896 /usr/bin/abcde
4 >
5 > > that handles
6 > > things to *MY* specs for *MY* needs. It processes .inf and .wav files
7 > > in a directory, creating flac files in a flac subdirectory. I haven't
8 > > tested it under all conditions, but it tries to handle...
9 > >
10 > > * Check for a "flac" subdirectory; create one if it doesn't already
11 > > exist
12 > > * If "Tracktitle" field is empty, bail out.
13 > > * If "Tracktitle" field contains a slash ("/"), assume that the artist's
14 > > name is to the left of the slash, and the song name is on the right
15 > > side of the slash.
16 > > * If "Tracktitle" field is non-empty, but doesn't contain a "/", assume
17 > > that it only has the title.
18 > > - Get the artist name from the "Performer" field.
19 > > - If "Performer" field is empty, use "Albumperformer" field.
20 > > - If both are empty, set artist name to "Unknown".
21 > > * The flac files are created in the "flac" subdirectory
22 >
23 > That's pretty much what I do with abcde, except I only had to edit a
24 > config file, leaving my script puttering time for wheels I need more.
25 >
26 > How do you handle compilation/multi-artist CDs?
27
28 Please re-read the message you're replying to. An example .inf file is
29 attached. There are 3 fields that my algorithm looks at...
30
31 Albumperformer= 'Various Artists'
32 Performer= 'Various Artists'
33 Tracktitle= 'Johnny Cash / I Walk The Line'
34
35 Given that there is a separate .inf file for each track, I figure the
36 way it *SHOULD* be done is to have the track title in the "Tracktitle"
37 field, and the artist in the "Performer" field. But, no, that's too
38 logical. The old saw about MTAs is "be conservative in what you send,
39 and liberal in what you accept". Boy, do I ever have to be liberal in
40 what I accept. As noted in my previous message, the algorithm, in
41 descending priority is...
42
43 1) If the "Tracktitle" field contains a slash, assume that it's in the
44 format 'Artist or Group Name / Track name'. The above example gets
45 converted to "I_Walk_The_Line_-_Johnny_Cash.flac".
46
47 2) Some .inf files actually get it right (gasp!) with the track title
48 in the "Tracktitle" field and the performer in the "Performer" field.
49 There is no slash "/" in the "Tracktitle" field.
50
51 Albumperformer= 'Glenn Miller'
52 Performer= 'Glenn Miller'
53 Tracktitle= 'In the mood'
54
55 This gets converted to "In_the_mood_-_Glenn_Miller.flac"
56
57 3) A variant on 2) above, if no "/" in "Tracktititle", and the
58 "Performer" field is empty, use the "Albumperformer" field as the
59 artist.
62 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
63 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

audio_01.inf.gz application/octet-stream