From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:56:23
1 On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2017-12-09 12:00, Jorge Almeida wrote:
3 >
4 >> Are you sure you need udisks? And policykit? I'm guessing you have
5 >> some default USE variables which if removed would contribute to a
6 >> cleaner system. I just checked the documentation about udisks in the
7 >> freedesktop site. I didn't manage to understand why it would be useful
8 >> (my fault, probably) but I understood enough to decide I wouldn't want
9 >> such stuff in my system.
10 >
11 > AFAIK there are 2 main reasons for udisks:
12 >
13 > 1. automounting everything that moves, and even things that do not move.
14 > By automounting I mean fully automatic mounting, ie. without any
15 > click or other user action. Leaving aside the desirability of this,
16 > it can be mostly replaced by a set of udev rules, even though udev
17 > authors frown of such usage.
18 >
19 > 2. tracking media availability of optical drives, which maddeningly do
20 > not provide any interrupt-driven way to do that. In spite of my
21 > advancing age I can still remember when I insert a disc into my
22 > drive, so if I don't need 1. above I don't need this either.
23 >
24 > Ergo, I avoid udisks.
25 >
26 Yes, it seems appropriate for Windows refugees and linuxers suffering
27 from Apple-envy. When I said I didn't understand why it would be
28 useful, I meant that the documentation in the site is all but clear
29 about the goodness of its product. Lots of freedesktop/dbus
30 mumbo-jumbo, though.
31
32 Regards