From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 21:01:54
1 On 2017-12-09 12:00, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2
3 > Are you sure you need udisks? And policykit? I'm guessing you have
4 > some default USE variables which if removed would contribute to a
5 > cleaner system. I just checked the documentation about udisks in the
6 > freedesktop site. I didn't manage to understand why it would be useful
7 > (my fault, probably) but I understood enough to decide I wouldn't want
8 > such stuff in my system.
9
10 AFAIK there are 2 main reasons for udisks:
11
12 1. automounting everything that moves, and even things that do not move.
13 By automounting I mean fully automatic mounting, ie. without any
14 click or other user action. Leaving aside the desirability of this,
15 it can be mostly replaced by a set of udev rules, even though udev
16 authors frown of such usage.
17
18 2. tracking media availability of optical drives, which maddeningly do
19 not provide any interrupt-driven way to do that. In spite of my
20 advancing age I can still remember when I insert a disc into my
21 drive, so if I don't need 1. above I don't need this either.
22
23 Ergo, I avoid udisks.
26 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
27 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
28 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.