From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 03:32:15
1 On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [...]
3 > Yes, it seems appropriate for Windows refugees and linuxers suffering
4 > from Apple-envy. When I said I didn't understand why it would be
5 > useful, I meant that the documentation in the site is all but clear
6 > about the goodness of its product. Lots of freedesktop/dbus
7 > mumbo-jumbo, though.
8
9 The documentation for udisks is not intended for end-users; it's intended
10 for developers that whish to use its benefits for their projects, GNOME and
11 KDE included. When used right (which implies a good integration done by the
12 distro), the software depending on it just works™, which makes
13 documentation for the end user program also redundant. You just don't
14 notice udisks, it's quietly running in the background doing its thing
15 without taking either much disk space, memory, nor CPU usage. For the
16 *general case*, its benefits outweigh the almost negligible amount of
17 resources it consumes (BTW, build time of udisks in Gentoo is about 21
18 seconds).
19
20 Up to a point, the same can be said about systemd; although many of its
21 programs can be and are used by end users, most of it is for distro
22 builders, programmers and administrators. And having a couple of Gentoo
23 boxes running Apache doesn't make anyone an administrator, BTW.
24
25 That's why most of Gentoo systemd users (and we are *a lot*; Gentoo has
26 great systemd support with several Gentoo devs collaborating with the
27 project) usually just ignore this kind of threads. Most of the time is a
28 lot of people which don't use it badmouthing a really cool piece of
29 technology that has been adopted by all large (and heavily used) Linux
30 distributions because the people that understand its technical merits
31 realize that, for the *general case*, its benefits outweigh whatever costs
32 (in many cases imaginary) it may have. And besides, for us it just works™,
33 quietly running in the background.
34
35 Just my two cents. I will not answer any reply to my little contribution to
36 this thread; but of course don't hesitate to explain to me why I'm
37 completely wrong, or a Lennart fanboi, or that I don't know what I'm
38 talking about. I just will not partake in such a joyful and enlightening
39 "discussion" (sadly the same conclusion I have arrived for the lasts few
40 years regarding this mailing list).
41
42 Enjoy your echo chamber.
43