From: Bruce Schultz <brulzki@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] apcupsd to recycle power
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 13:55:06
1 On 15/11/14 22:52, Thanasis wrote:
2 > on 11/15/2014 11:35 AM Mick wrote the following:
3 >> On Friday 14 Nov 2014 18:53:13 Thanasis wrote:
4 >>> I have an APC SC620I, which in case of power failure, it successfully
5 >>> initiates a shutdown to the connected (via SMART cable) PC, but if the
6 >>> mains power returns, the UPS does not recycle the power to the PC, and
7 >>> consequently the PC stays off.
8 >>>
9 >>> Regardless if the mains power returns soon after the UPS has
10 >>> initiated a
11 >>> shutdown to the PC, shouldn't the UPS recycle the power anyway, so that
12 >>> the PC comes back on as set in BIOS?
13 >>>
14 >>> Am I missing something in the configuration or the daemons that should
15 >>> be running?
16 >>>
20 >> Is it that the UPS does not recycle the power,
21 >
22 > The UPS does NOT recycle the power.
23 >
24 > or is it that the PC does not
25 >> reboot after power is restored? Does the PC reboot if you pull and
26 >> reinsert
27 >> its mains plug?
28 >
29 > The PC's BIOS is correctly configured and tested to start up as soon
30 > as power is restored to it.
31 >
32 >> Have a look here if you haven't seen this section already:
33 >>
34 >> http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#arranging-for-reboot-on-power-up
37 > Looks like the UPS does not cut (kill) the power, but I am not sure
38 > how to debug it.
42 If the UPS battery has not run flat before the mains power is restored,
43 I see no reason why a UPS should kill the output power. So the BIOS has
44 no real way of knowing that it should reboot again in that case.
45
46 Have you looked for any BIOS options related to powering on from a USB
47 device? eg, I'm thinking of PCs which can be switched on by pressing a
48 key on the keyboard... could that mechanism be triggered by a UPS? Or
49 perhaps via wake-on-lan? (Note I have no real experience with UPSs, I'm
50 just trying to think of other ways that PCs can be made to power on).
51
52 Bruce
55 :b